Wednesday, April 29, 2020

How has my community been affected by COVID-19

So I'd like to start by explaining the evolution of my neighborhood because I think it adds a nice background. When we moved in after my parents divorce in 2005, the neighborhood had a large population of kids. There were about 7-8 families with children that my brothers and I grew up with. But as they went to college, families started moving. And with this, there was a period of 3-4 years of only a few families with children. But then, a new influx of families moved in, causing a new generation of kid activity within the block. And you can clearly see this as the weather is nice, and when it's daytime. When I walk my dog, I have seen kids out and about with their families perusing the block, playing with other kids in other families completely unaffected by the quarantine. I’d also say we are not a close knit community, but more of a friendly with each other kind mentality. We don’t have block parties often, or gatherings. We don’t really spend a lot of time together or at least my family doesn’t, but there is a sense of compassion towards each other whenever you see someone you know. And even when people are social distancing from each other, this compassion has not left the block. Now some families are not that close with the other community members, and you can see them just held up in their house not wanting to be in contact with anyone. But the natural environment within our community of taking walks with a dog or alone, waving hi to each other, kids playing with other children, and even the sporadic conversation you have with someone when you cross paths, have not changed since the COVID-19 epidemic started.

No comments:

Post a Comment